While Keep Smyrna Beautiful is a strong advocate of recycling and dedicated to the effort of educating the public about the curbside recycling program in Smyrna, it is not run or managed by Keep Smyrna Beautiful. The City of Smyrna Curbside Recycling Program for Smyrna residents is provided by the City of Smyrna Sanitation Division.
- Phone Number: (770) 431-2850
- Click here to complete recycling bin request, pickup schedule and acceptable recycling bin items
The Hefty® Energy Bag® Program has come to Smyrna!
This is an additional City of Smyrna curbside program.
Smyrna residents* who have curbside recycling collect by City of Smyrna Public Works will be able to recycle plastics #3 – 7 and other hard to recycle plastics in their curbside bin using a special Hefty orange bag.
The Hefty® Energy Bag® Program is a groundbreaking initiative that collects many of the plastics that are currently hard to recycle and turns them into something useful again – instead of sending them to the landfill!
Pick up FREE starter kits at the Smyrna Recycling Center located at 3475 Lake Drive or at Utility Billing located in Smyrna City Hall.
Replacement bags may be purchased at the Kroger stores in Cobb County.
How does it work?
- Residents pick up their starter kit at the locations above.
- Collect and fill the Hefty® orange bag with plastics that hard to recycle (see list below).
- One the bag is completely filled, close and tie the official Hefty® orange bag and place it in your recycling bin along with your normal recycling.
- City of Smyrna Public Works staff will collect the bag along with your normal recycling.
- Please make sure to fill your bag as full as possible.
- Please do not bag any of your other recyclables; only those plastics listed below should be in the orange bag.
- Questions? Please call 770.431.2863.
What can go in the Hefty® Energy Bag®?
- Plastic Pouches – Juice and baby food squeeze pouches
- Plastic wrap and Bags – Food storage bags, salad bags, dry cleaning bags, deli packaging, and cereal liners
- Plastic tableware – Plates, cups, straws/stirrers, bowls and utensils
- Flexible containers – Yogurt, sour cream, pudding cup containers
- Foam products – Cups, plates, to go containers
- Plastic tubes – Toothpaste and lotion tubes
- Plastic shipping items – Bubble wrap, air packs, packing peanuts, and plastic envelopes
- Candy wrappers – no metal foil
- Plastic cheese bags
- Chip bags/snack bags or wrappers – no metal foil
- Coffee pods – no coffee grinds or metal foil
- Plastic pet food bags (no paper)
What can not go in the Hefty® Energy Bag®?
- Plastics #1 (water bottles, soda bottles)
- Plastics #2 (detergent bottles, milk bottles)
- Garden or other hoses
- Hazardous Waste
- Medical products